"My husband usually doesn't care for low-fat dishes," notes Natalie Warf of Spring Lake, North Carolina. "So after finishing a bowl of this rich-tasting soup, he was surprised to learn that it's very low in fat."
- 1-3/4 cups diced peeled potatoes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 can (12 ounces) fat-free evaporated milk, divided
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- In a large saucepan, combine the potatoes, onion, celery, broth and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-18 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Combine cornstarch and 1/4 cup milk until smooth; stir into potato mixture. Add the remaining milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir in cheese until melted. Yield: 5 servings.
Originally published as Low-Fat Potato Soup in Taste of Home February/March 2000, p17
Reviews for Low-Fat Potato Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review