- 1-3/4 cups diced peeled potatoes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 can (12 ounces) fat-free evaporated milk, divided
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- In a large saucepan, combine the potatoes, onion, celery, broth and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-18 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Combine cornstarch and 1/4 cup milk until smooth; stir into potato mixture. Add the remaining milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir in cheese until melted. Yield: 5 servings.
Reviews for Low-Fat Potato Soup
Sort By :
"I thought with the addition of celery and onions that this potato soup would be good. However, it did not have any flavor, and the addition of extra salt and pepper did not help. As much as I appreciate a good low fat soup, this did not fit the profile for me. Totally without flavor, and I think the addition of cornstarch was part of the problem."
"The recipe calls for 1 cup of cheese (4 ounces.) 1 cup equals 8 ounces. Therefore, I am thinking you only need 1/2 a cup of cheese."
"Tripled the recipe as I had a lot of potatoes on hand. Only had one can of evaporated milk, so added 1/2 c half half (there goes low fat) and 2 1/4 c skim milk . I also chopped up some carrots and sauteed carrots, celery, onion and 2 garlic cloves in little bit of butter, before adding broth and potatoes and milk. Used low fat cheddar cheese - it was very good"
"No one would ever guess this was low in fat and calories, it is that good! I sauteed the onions & celery in a little bit of light butter for a few minutes, then added the potatoes and broth and continued on with the recipe. I used 2% sharp cheddar cheese and garnished the top with sliced scallions and a couple of slices of crispy bacon. Divine! Hubby said it was the best potato soup ever....10 stars from us!"
"This was super good, quick, and easy."