Low-Fat Macaroni and Cheese
"When I want a super side dish that's real old-fashioned comfort food, I make a batch of this macaroni and cheese," notes field editor Joanie Elbourn of Gardner, Massachusetts.
4 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 1 hour
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1-1/4 cups shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 2/3 cup fat-free cottage cheese
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Pepper to taste
- 2-1/2 cups cooked elbow macaroni
- 1 tablespoon grated onion
- In a blender or food processor, combine the milk, cheeses, flour and
- pepper. Cover and process until creamy. Pour into a bowl; stir in
- macaroni and onion. Transfer to a 1-1/2-qt. baking dish coated with
- cooking spray. Sprinkle with paprika. Bake, uncovered, at 350°
- for 1 hour or until heated through. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 3/4 cup equals 271 calories, 8 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 28 mg cholesterol, 395 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 19 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 medium-fat meat, 1-1/2 starch.
Wine: Full-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.