Low-Fat Clam Chowder Recipe
- 2 turkey bacon strips, diced
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups cubed red potatoes
- 2 cans (6-1/2 ounces each) minced clams, undrained
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon reduced-sodium seafood seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt-free lemon-pepper seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups fat-free half-and-half
- 1. In a large nonstick saucepan, cook bacon and onion over medium heat until onion is tender. Add the potatoes, clams, broth, celery and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine flour and half-and-half until smooth; stir into potato mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Yield: 4 servings.
1-1/4 cup: 202 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 778mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 3g fiber), 13g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1/2 fat-free milk.