You’d never guess that a rich and creamy clam chowder could be low-fat, but this one is! With lots of potatoes, turkey bacon and seasonings, this slimmed-down version, shared by Linda Tindel of Avondale, Arizona, is loaded with flavor.
- 2 turkey bacon strips, diced
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups cubed red potatoes
- 2 cans (6-1/2 ounces each) minced clams, undrained
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon reduced-sodium seafood seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt-free lemon-pepper seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups fat-free half-and-half
- In a large nonstick saucepan, cook bacon and onion over medium heat until onion is tender. Add the potatoes, clams, broth, celery and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- In a small bowl, combine flour and half-and-half until smooth; stir into potato mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Low-Fat Clam Chowder in Simple & Delicious January/February 2008, p47
Reviews for Low-Fat Clam Chowder
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review