Low-Fat Chocolate Cookies Recipe
Field editor Mary Houchin of Swansea, Illinois shares these soft cake-like cookies. They have a mild cocoa flavor and are topped with chocolate chips.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch YIELD:44 servings
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 3 egg whites
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the applesauce, oil and egg whites. Beat in sugars and vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; gradually add to applesauce mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or until slightly firm.
- 2. Drop dough by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with chocolate chips. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until set. Remove to wire racks. Yield: about 3-1/2 dozen.
1 cookie equals 78 calories, 2 g fat (trace saturated fat), trace cholesterol, 63 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 1 starch.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC