Low-Fat Beef Stew
Now even folks on restricted diets can indulge in a hearty helping of stew!—Marian Stalknecht, Lawrenceville, Georgia
8 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 40 min.
- 1 pound beef top round steak, trimmed and cubed
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 3-inch chunks
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and halved
- 1 cup frozen peas
- In a Dutch oven, brown beef in oil. Add the next seven ingredients;
- cook over medium heat for 10 minutes. Add carrots and potatoes;
- cover and simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Discard bay leaf. Stir in peas; heat through. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One 1-cup serving equals 159 calories, 5 g fat (0 saturated fat), 38 mg cholesterol, 70 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 16 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable.