Low-Fat Apple Brown Betty Recipe
- 6 cups sliced peeled Golden Delicious apples
- Sugar substitute equivalent to 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 slices reduced-calorie whole wheat bread
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat butter, melted
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/3 cup fat-free whipped cream cheese
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat whipped topping
- 1. Place apple slices in a bowl. Combine sugar substitute and cinnamon; sprinkle over apples and toss to coat evenly. Place bread in a food processor; cover and process until fine crumbs form. In an small bowl, combine bread crumbs and butter until blended.
- 2. Place half of apple mixture in an 8-in. square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Top with about 1/3 cup crumb mixture and remaining apple mixture. Pour orange juice over apples. Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining crumb mixture. Bake 25-30 minutes longer or until apples are tender and crumb topping is golden brown.
- 3. In a bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth. Beat in half of the whipped topping. Fold in remaining whipped topping. Serve with Apple Brown Betty. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving with a rounded tablespoon equals 134 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 8 mg cholesterol, 142 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.