A low-fat spin on a down-home traditional treat, this recipe sent in by Dale Hartman of Coventry, Rhode Island features a fraction of the sugar, fat and calories...but all the comforting taste of the original.
- 6 cups sliced peeled Golden Delicious apples
- Sugar substitute equivalent to 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 slices reduced-calorie whole wheat bread
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat butter, melted
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/3 cup fat-free whipped cream cheese
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat whipped topping
- Place apple slices in a bowl. Combine sugar substitute and cinnamon; sprinkle over apples and toss to coat evenly. Place bread in a food processor; cover and process until fine crumbs form. In an small bowl, combine bread crumbs and butter until blended.
- Place half of apple mixture in an 8-in. square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Top with about 1/3 cup crumb mixture and remaining apple mixture. Pour orange juice over apples. Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining crumb mixture. Bake 25-30 minutes longer or until apples are tender and crumb topping is golden brown.
- In a bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth. Beat in half of the whipped topping. Fold in remaining whipped topping. Serve with Apple Brown Betty. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Apple Brown Betty in Light & Tasty February/March 2005, p21
Reviews for Low-Fat Apple Brown Betty
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review