Ideal for camping and relaxing trips to the beach, this crowd-pleasing recipe includes a combination of shrimp, crab, sausage, corn and potatoes. —Mageswari Elagupillai, Victorville, California
- 2 quarts water
- 1 bottle (12 ounces) beer
- 2 tablespoons seafood seasoning
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 4 medium red potatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 medium sweet onion, cut into wedges
- 4 medium ears sweet corn, cut in half
- 1/3 pound smoked chorizo or kielbasa, cut into 1-inch slices
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound uncooked large shrimp, deveined
- 1 pound uncooked snow crab legs
- Optional condiments: seafood cocktail sauce, lemon wedges and melted butter
- In a stockpot, combine the water, beer, seafood seasoning and salt; add potatoes and onion. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Add corn and chorizo; simmer 10-12 minutes longer or until potatoes and corn are tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, heat oil. Add the garlic, cumin, cilantro, paprika and pepper. Cook and stir over medium heat for 1 minute.
- Stir the shrimp, crab legs and garlic mixture into the stockpot; cook for 4-6 minutes or until shrimp and crab turn pink. Drain; transfer seafood mixture to a large serving bowl. Serve with condiments of your choice. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Low Country Boil in Country June/July 2009, p49
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Low Country Boil
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review