- 1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast (3-1/2 to 4 pounds)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 jar (16 ounces) salsa verde
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- Hot cooked grits
- Sour cream, optional
- Place pork and onion in a 4-qt. slow cooker. In a small bowl, combine salsa, chilies, cumin, oregano, salt, pepper, pepper flakes and cinnamon; pour over meat. Cook, covered, on low 5-6 hours or until meat is tender.
Remove roast; cool slightly. Skim fat from cooking juices. Shred pork with two forks. Return pork to slow cooker; heat through. Stir in cilantro. Serve with grits and, if desired, sour cream.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled meat mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Microwave, covered, on high in a microwave-safe dish until heated through, gently stirring and adding a little broth if necessary. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Low & Slow Pork Verde in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes Annual 2016, p54
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Low & Slow Pork Verde
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review