Lovely Cherry Layer Cake
"This delicious eye-catching cake is a variation of an Italian dessert recipe that's been in my family for years," says Jennifer Ciccia of Hamburg, New York.
14 ServingsPrep: 45 min. Bake: 15 min. + cooling
- 1 package white cake mix (regular size)
- CANNOLI FILLING:
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1 carton (15 ounces) ricotta cheese
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Almond Extract
- 1 jar (16 ounces) maraschino cherries
- 1 cup miniature chocolate chips
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 7-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 teaspoons McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 4 to 5 tablespoons water
- Pink and green gel food coloring
- Prepare and bake cake according to package directions, using two
- greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Cool for 10 minutes
- before removing cakes from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and ricotta until fluffy. Add
- confectioners' sugar and extracts; beat until smooth.
- Drain cherries well, reserving 1 teaspoon cherry juice. Chop