Louisiana Sweet Potato Casserole
This recipe is a hand-me-down from my mother. My dad used to plant a lot of sweet potatoes, so Mother became quite creative in preparing them. It's our annual holiday dish with turkey and trimmings, but when I have a yen for something sweet, I reach into my file for this recipe.
-Aline Fazzio, Houman, Louisiana
6-8 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 4 Eggland's Best Eggs, beaten
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon each salt, ground cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice
- 3 cups shredded uncooked sweet potatoes
- In a bowl, combine the eggs, sugar, milk and butter. Combine the
- flour, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice; stir into the egg
- mixture with sweet potatoes.
- Transfer to a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at
- 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center
- comes out clean. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 267 calories, 9 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 126 mg cholesterol, 185 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 5 g protein.