This recipe is a hand-me-down from my mother. My dad used to plant a lot of sweet potatoes, so Mother became quite creative in preparing them. It's our annual holiday dish with turkey and trimmings, but when I have a yen for something sweet, I reach into my file for this recipe. -Aline Fazzio, Houman, Louisiana
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon each salt, ground cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice
- 3 cups shredded uncooked sweet potatoes
- In a bowl, combine the eggs, sugar, milk and butter. Combine the flour, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice; stir into the egg mixture with sweet potatoes.
- Transfer to a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Louisiana Sweet Potato Casserole in Reminisce March/April 2001, p48
Reviews for Louisiana Sweet Potato Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review