- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, sliced
- 2 beef top round steaks (3/4 inch thick and 1 pound each)
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- Place the sweet potatoes, onion and green pepper in a 6-qt. slow cooker. Cut each steak into three serving-size pieces; sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt. In a large skillet over medium heat, brown steaks in oil in batches on both sides. Place steaks over vegetables, reserving drippings in pan.
- Add garlic to drippings; cook and stir for 1 minute. Stir in flour until blended. Stir in the remaining ingredients and remaining salt. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook and stir for 4-5 minutes or until thickened. Pour over meat. Cover and cook on low for 7-9 hours or until beef is tender. Yield: 6 servings.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Louisiana Round Steak
"Cut the steaks in half the thickness, pounded it a little to tenderizer. Added a cup extra beef broth and a cup of cooked quinoa. Put everything in Crock-Pot and cooked on high for 3.5 hours, turned out great. Will make again"