- 4 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 package (14 ounces) smoked turkey sausage, sliced
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 small sweet red pepper, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 green onions, chopped
- Hot cooked rice
- In a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the first 11 ingredients. Cook, covered, on low 8-10 hours or until vegetables are tender.
Stir before serving. Remove bay leaf. Serve with green onions and rice.
Freeze option: Discard bay leaf and freeze cooled bean mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth or water if necessary. Serve as directed. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Louisiana Red Beans and Rice
Sort By :
"I added 1 1/2 tsp creole seasoning and used 1 can each kidney beans, black beans and great northern beans. Served with garlic mashed potatoes instead of rice. Nice dinner."
"It was tasty, but I made a few changes: 3 cans of beans instead of 4, 1 extra pepper, and added about a teaspoon of Cajun seasoning for extra flavor."
"I used regular sausage"
"This is delicious! I could only find smoked pork sausage. Wonderful blend of flavors."
"Big hit with whole family. Saute'd vegetables and decreased cooking time to 4 hours. Tossed in some fresh parsley and thyme...yum!"