Louisiana Gumbo Recipe
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 3-1/2 pounds), cut up
- 2 quarts water
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 pound smoked sausage, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 pound fully cooked ham, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1/2 pound fresh or frozen uncooked shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 cup fresh or frozen sliced okra
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1. Place the chicken and water in a Dutch oven; bring to a boil. Skim fat. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 30-45 minutes or until chicken is tender.
- 2. Remove chicken; cool. Reserve 6 cups broth. Remove chicken from bones; cut into bite-size pieces.
- 3. In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, mix flour and oil until smooth; cook and stir over medium-low heat until browned, 2-3 minutes. Stir in the onions, peppers, celery and garlic; cook for 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in the sausage, ham and reserved broth and chicken; cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink.
- 4. Add the shrimp, okra, beans, salt, pepper and hot pepper sauce; cover and simmer 10 minutes longer or until shrimp turn pink. Yield: 12 servings.
1 cup equals 473 calories, 22 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 94 mg cholesterol, 646 mg sodium, 38 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 29 g protein.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.