- Remove chicken; cool. Reserve 6 cups broth. Remove chicken from
- bones; cut into bite-size pieces.
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, mix flour and oil until smooth; cook
- and stir over medium-low heat until browned, 2-3 minutes. Stir in
- the onions, peppers, celery and garlic; cook for 5 minutes or until
- vegetables are tender. Stir in the sausage, ham and reserved broth
- and chicken; cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until chicken is no
- longer pink.
- Add the shrimp, okra, beans, salt, pepper and hot pepper sauce; cover
- and simmer 10 minutes longer or until shrimp turn pink. Yield: 12
Nutritional Facts: 1 cup equals 473 calories, 22 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 94 mg cholesterol, 646 mg sodium, 38 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 29 g protein.
Wine: Full-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.