Louisiana Chicken Recipe
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 large oven roasting bag
- 1 roasting chicken (3-1/2 to 5 pounds)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 medium onions, quartered
- 6 large potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 6 medium carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 medium green peppers, quartered
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried mint or 1 tablespoon minced fresh mint
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 7 drops bitters, optional
- 1. Place flour in oven bag; shake to coat. Place oven bag in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan or larger roasting pan. Sprinkle chicken with salt and cayenne pepper; place in bag.
- 2. Surround chicken with onions, potatoes, carrots and green peppers. Place one garlic clove inside the chicken and one with the vegetables. Sprinkle parsley and mint over vegetables and chicken. Combine broth, Worcestershire sauce and bitters if desired. Pour under chicken inside of bag.
- 3. Fasten the bag. Puncture the top of the bag five or six times with a fork. Bake at 350° for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 180°. Yield: 6-8 servings.
9 ounce-weight: 513 calories, 14g fat (4g saturated fat), 78mg cholesterol, 660mg sodium, 64g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 8g fiber), 33g protein
Reviews for Louisiana Chicken
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.