Turn to this dish when you need a special entree to feed a crowd. Don't be deterred by the length of this recipe...it has many make-ahead steps. Plus, it grills unattended for hours, so there's no last-minute fuss.—Allan Stackhouse, Jennings, Louisiana
- 3 tablespoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons each salt, garlic powder and pepper
- 1 teaspoon each cayenne pepper, dried oregano and ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 fresh beef brisket (4 to 6 pounds)
- BARBECUE SAUCE:
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
- 2/3 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 2 to 4 tablespoons hot pepper sauce
- 4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 to 4 teaspoons Liquid Smoke, optional
- In a small bowl, combine the seasonings. Rub 2 teaspoons over brisket. (Place remaining seasoning mixture in an airtight container; save for up to 3 months for another use.)
- In a large bowl, combine the sauce ingredients; stir until brown sugar is dissolved. Pour 2 cups into a large resealable plastic bag; add the brisket. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight, turning several times. Cover and refrigerate remaining sauce.
- Prepare grill for indirect heat, using a drip pan. Drain and discard marinade from brisket; pat dry with paper towels. Place brisket over pan; grill, covered, over indirect low heat for 30-45 minutes on each side or until browned.
- Transfer brisket to a heavy-duty disposable roasting pan. Pour 1-1/4 cups of reserved sauce over brisket. Cover with a double layer of heavy-duty foil and seal tightly.
- Grill, covered, over indirect low heat for 3-4 hours or until meat is fork-tender. Slice brisket across the grain. Serve with remaining sauce. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Originally published as Louisiana Barbecue Brisket in Country Woman May/June 2005, p31
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Louisiana Barbecue Brisket
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review