- 1 minute or until thickened. Stir in extract. Set aside to cool.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll one portion of dough to 1/8-in.
- thickness. Cut out 12 hearts with a floured 4-in. heart-shaped
- cookie cutter. Transfer half of the hearts to a parchment-lined
- baking sheet. Using a floured 3/4-in. heart-shaped cookie cutter,
- cut out small hearts from the remaining hearts. (Discard small
- hearts or reserve for another use.)
- Spoon 2 tablespoons cherry mixture onto the center of each solid
- heart. Brush edges of pastry with egg. Top with cutout hearts; press
- edges with a fork to seal. Brush tops with egg; sprinkle with coarse
- Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until crust is golden brown and
- filling is bubbly. While tarts are baking, repeat with remaining
- dough and filling.
- Let pies stand for 5 minutes before removing to wire racks. Serve
- warm. Yield: 1 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 pie (calculated without coarse sugar) equals 445 calories, 28 g fat (13 g saturated fat), 58 mg cholesterol, 262 mg sodium, 43 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 5 g protein.