- Preheat oven to 400°. On a lightly floured surface, roll one
- portion of dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut out 12 hearts with a
- floured 4-in. heart-shaped cookie cutter. Transfer half of the
- hearts to a parchment-lined baking sheet. Using a floured 3/4-in.
- heart-shaped cookie cutter, cut out small hearts from the remaining
- hearts. (Discard small hearts or reserve for another use.)
- Spoon 2 tablespoons cherry mixture onto the center of each solid
- heart. Brush edges of pastry with egg. Top with cutout hearts; press
- edges with a fork to seal. Brush tops with egg; sprinkle with coarse
- Bake 15-20 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is
- bubbly. While tarts are baking, repeat with remaining dough and
- Let pies stand 5 minutes before removing to wire racks. Serve warm.
- Yield: 1 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 pie (calculated without coarse sugar) equals 445 calories, 28 g fat (13 g saturated fat), 58 mg cholesterol, 262 mg sodium, 43 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 5 g protein.