The tattered recipe in my files is a good indication of how popular these doughnuts have been in our family over the years. They disappear in a hurry, so I typically double the recipe.
30 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + rising Cook: 30 min.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 Eggland's Best Egg
- 3-1/4 to 3-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- 1-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add milk, butter,
- sugar, salt and egg and 2 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in
- enough flour to form a soft dough.
- Do not knead. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; roll into a
- 12x8-in. rectangle. Cut into 3x1-in. rectangles. Place on greased