Lone Star Pot Roast
The addition of chopped green chilies and taco seasoning mix make this pot roast especially flavorful.—Helen Carpenter, Albuquerque, New Mexico
6-8 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 2 hours
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (3 to 3-1/2 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- In a Dutch oven, brown roast in oil. Combine tomatoes, chilies, taco
- seasoning, bouillon and sugar; pour over the roast. Cover and simmer
- 2 to 2-1/2 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove roast to a platter and keep warm. For gravy, pour 2 cups pan
- juices into a saucepan. Combine cold water and flour; stir into pan
- juices over high heat until thickened and bubbly, about 3 minutes.
- Serve with roast. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 352 calories, 20 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 111 mg cholesterol, 594 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 34 g protein.
Wine: Light-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot