- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (3 to 3-1/2 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- In a Dutch oven, brown roast in oil. Combine tomatoes, chilies, taco seasoning, bouillon and sugar; pour over the roast. Cover and simmer 2 to 2-1/2 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove roast to a platter and keep warm. For gravy, pour 2 cups pan juices into a saucepan. Combine cold water and flour; stir into pan juices over high heat until thickened and bubbly, about 3 minutes. Serve with roast. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Lone Star Pot Roast(12)
Sort By :
One of our favorites. Been making this since it first came out. Yummy!!!!
Love this recipe, it's my favorite pot roast. I've made it numerous times just as a roast and as a sandwich filling. Just shredded the meat and put back in the gravy. Awesome. Have taken to potlucks at work as a sandwich filling and everyone loved it. Thanks, Helen, for sharing this incredible recipe!!!
This was very good, made an excellent filling for tacos!
Been making this over and over since it first appeared in 1995! Best review is my husband's co workers requested the recipe after merely smelling the leftovers that he took for lunch reheating.
I used a can of hot Rotel instead of the diced tomatoes and I also added some diced onions and tomato paste. It was really good and spicy :o)
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Cinco de Mayo Dinners >
- Cinco de Mayo Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Mexican Dinners >
- Mexican Recipes >
- Roast Dinner >