Lobster-Stuffed Beef Wellington Recipe
Instead of stuffing beef tenderloin with mushrooms, I use lobster for a more elegant feel. A side of potatoes and salad completes the festive meal.—Terry Smigielski, Boothbay Harbor, Maine
- 3 lobster tails (8 to 10 ounces each)
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1-1/8 teaspoons pepper, divided
- 2/3 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 beef tenderloin roast (4 to 5 pounds)
- 1 package (17.3 ounces) frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg white
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1. Using kitchen scissors, cut through lobster shells; carefully remove lobster and chop. In a small skillet, combine the lobster, cream, thyme, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook 3-5 minutes or until lobster is firm and opaque. Discard thyme sprigs. Stir in bread crumbs; set aside to cool.
- 2. Make a lengthwise slit down the center of tenderloin to within 1/2 in. of bottom. Open meat so it lies flat. Place lobster mixture down the center. Close tenderloin; tie several times with kitchen string. Sprinkle with remaining salt and pepper.
- 3. Place the tenderloin in a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan; fold ends under tenderloin. Bake, uncovered, at 475° for 20-25 minutes or until browned. Cool to room temperature; refrigerate until chilled.
- 4. On a lightly floured surface, unfold one puff pastry sheet; cut lengthwise along one fold line, forming two rectangles. Cut smaller rectangle into a 6-in. x 3-in. rectangle; use remaining piece for decorations if desired. Moisten a 6-in. edge of large rectangle with water. Attach smaller rectangle along that edge, pressing lightly to seal. Roll out 2 in. longer than the tenderloin on each side. Transfer to an ungreased baking sheet. Brush with egg white.
- 5. Remove and discard kitchen string from tenderloin; place onto the pastry. Roll out remaining puff pastry into a rectangle 8 in. wide and 5 in. longer than the tenderloin; place over the meat. Brush pastry edges with water; fold edges under meat. With a sharp knife, make four slashes across top of pastry. Brush with butter.
- 6. Bake, uncovered, at 425° for 40 minutes (meat will be cooked to medium doneness); cover loosely with foil to prevent overbrowning if necessary. Transfer to a serving platter. Let stand for 15 minutes before slicing. Yield: 14 servings.
1 piece: 496 calories, 24g fat (9g saturated fat), 144mg cholesterol, 600mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 3g fiber), 45g protein.
Reviews for Lobster-Stuffed Beef Wellington
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC