Loaded Vegetable Beef Stew Recipe
- 8 bacon strips, diced
- 3 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 6 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 6 medium tomatoes, peeled and cut into wedges
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 cups cubed peeled butternut squash
- 2 medium green peppers, chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) beef broth
- 6 cups chopped cabbage
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels to drain. In the drippings, brown beef in batches. Refrigerate the bacon until serving.
- In a 6-qt. slow cooker, combine the carrots, tomatoes, potatoes, squash, green peppers, thyme and garlic. Top with beef. Pour broth over the top. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours.
- Stir in cabbage and pepper. Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes or until cabbage is tender. Sprinkle each serving with bacon. Yield: 12 servings (1-1/3 cups each).
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Loaded Vegetable Beef Stew(8)
Sort By :
Really good. A great comfort food. I did use canned tomatoes instead of fresh. I also halved the recipe and it still made a ton!
Great recipe. I had to add onion and garlic with the beef for my obsessive family. I also halved the bacon to reduce the fat a little. Thanks for sharing.
This was so good! I agree that it does need a little more seasoning, but, that is pretty typical of any stew and was easy enough to adjust. I think next time I will add an onion. Also, I halved the recipe and it totally filled my 3 1/2 qt crock pot. Delicious!
The texture of this stew was perfect - the meat melt in your mouth and the veggies were so tender. It needed more seasoning, though.
Only change I made was to substitute a can of petite diced tomatoes (undrained) for the tomatoes. This dish should rate 10 stars! I was told to throw out my other beef stew recipes and only keep this one! It is really awesome!
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Bacon Recipes >
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Beef Slow Cooker Recipes >
- Beef Stew Recipes >
- Beef Stews >
- Butternut Squash Recipes >
- Carrot Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Stew Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Potato Recipes >
- Potluck Dinner Recipes >
- Potluck Recipes >
- Potluck Stew Recipes >
- Slow Cooker Beef Recipes >
- Slow Cooker Beef Stew >