When I make mashed potatoes, I always make extra so I can make these over-the-top pancakes. Fill them with sour cream, ranch dressing, melted cheese—or all three. —Jane McMillan, Dania Beach, Florida
- 2 cups mashed potatoes (with added milk and butter)
- 2/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon minced chives
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2/3 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/3 cup cream cheese, softened
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. In a shallow bowl, mix bread crumbs, garlic powder, onion powder and cayenne.
- Shape 2 teaspoons cream cheese into a ball. Wrap 1/4 cup of potato mixture around cream cheese to cover completely. Drop into crumb mixture. Gently coat and shape into a 1/2-in.-thick patty. Repeat with remaining cream cheese and potato mixture.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry stuffed pancakes, a few at a time, 1-2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Yield: 8 potato pancakes.
Originally published as Loaded Stuffed Potato Pancakes in Simple & Delicious February/March 2014
Reviews for Loaded Stuffed Potato Pancakes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review