Loaded Smashed Taters Recipe
I can make an entire pot of smashed taters in the time it takes to bake a single potato. I like to use baby Yukon Golds because the skins are very thin and easy to mash. Make this to your taste—sometimes I add in garlic and chives or sub shallots for the green onions. My husband loves these potatoes with a steak, and even my 20-month-old daughter enjoys them! —Andrea Quiroz, Chicago, Illinois
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Cook: 20 min. YIELD:8 servings
- 2-1/2 pounds baby Yukon Gold potatoes
- 1 cup 2% milk, warmed
- 1/2 cup spreadable garlic and herb cream cheese
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 pound bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1/3 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1. Place potatoes in a large saucepan; add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, 15-20 minutes or until tender.
- 2. Drain; return to pan. Lightly mash potatoes, gradually adding milk, cream cheese and butter to reach desired consistency. Stir in bacon, cheeses, green onions, tomatoes, parsley, salt and pepper. Yield: 8 servings.
3/4 cup equals 379 calories, 24 g fat (13 g saturated fat), 63 mg cholesterol, 682 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 15 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC