- 2 whole garlic bulbs
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 8 bacon strips
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 4 pounds small red potatoes
- 1 container (16 ounces) sour cream
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Minced chives, optional
- Remove papery outer skin from garlic (do not peel or separate cloves). Cut top off of garlic bulb. Brush with oil. Wrap each bulb in heavy-duty foil.
- Bake at 425° for 30-35 minutes or until softened. Cool for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings. In the same skillet, cook onions in reserved drippings for 2 minutes or until tender; set aside. Crumble bacon.
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until tender. Drain and transfer to a large bowl.
- Mash potatoes. Squeeze softened garlic over top. Stir in the bacon, onions with drippings, sour cream, 1 cup cheese, butter, milk, salt and pepper; combine. Spoon mixture into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish; top with remaining cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 10-15 minutes or until cheese is melted. Garnish with chives if desired. Yield: 15 servings.
Originally published as Loaded Smashed Potatoes in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2013, p109
Reviews for Loaded Smashed Potatoes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review