Growing up, my mother made potato and onion soup because it was affordable and fast. I’ve trimmed the calories, and it’s still a comforting family favorite. —Courtney Stultz, Weir, Kansas
Recommended: 51 Cozy Slow Cooker Soups
- 1 medium leek
- 1-1/2 pounds potatoes (about 2 large), peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cups fresh cauliflowerets
- 3/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Sour cream, optional
- Finely chop white portion of leek. Cut leek greens into thin strips; reserve for topping. In a 3- or 4-qt. slow cooker, combine potatoes, cauliflower, seasonings, broth and chopped leek. Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours or until vegetables are tender.
- In a small skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add reserved leek greens; cook 3-5 minutes or until light golden. Puree soup using an immersion blender. Or, cool soup slightly and puree in batches in a blender. Stir in lemon juice. Top with leek greens and if desired, sour cream. Yield: 6 servings (about 1-1/2 quarts).
Originally published as Loaded Potato-Leek Soup in Taste of Home April/May 2016, p32
Reviews for Loaded Potato-Leek Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed May. 12, 2016
"I'm always on the lookout for a lightened up cream soup recipes, and this one fit the bill perfectly. I served it as a first course, and it was enjoyed by all. It's on my keeper list. Thanks, Courtney for this winner!!!!"