Loaded Philly Cheese Steaks Recipe
For a scrumptious twist on a Philly favorite, take a bite of this hearty bomber. With cheese sauce, tender steak and sauteed veggies, it has plenty of mass appeal. —Diane Higgins, Tampa, Florida
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded pepper Jack cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 boneless beef top loin steaks (10 ounces each)
- 3 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 3 medium onions, sliced
- 3 small green peppers, sliced
- 6 hoagie buns
- 1. In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the cheeses, pepper and salt just until melted. Remove from the heat; keep warm.
- 2. In a large skillet over medium heat, cook steaks in 1 tablespoon oil for 4-6 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a meat thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°). Remove and keep warm.
- 3. In the same skillet, saute onions and peppers in remaining oil until tender. Slice steak; place in hoagie buns. Add onions and peppers; top with cheese sauce. Yield: 6 servings.
1 sandwich equals 729 calories, 38 g fat (18 g saturated fat), 123 mg cholesterol, 879 mg sodium, 50 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 48 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC