The only thing that beats the comforting flavor of this thick and hearty potato soup is possibly the idea that it simmers on its own all day in a slow cooker.—Barbara Bleigh, Colonial Heights, Virginia
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups water, divided
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1-1/2 cups mashed potato flakes
- 1/2 pound sliced bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 green onions, sliced
- In a large skillet, saute onions in butter until tender. Stir in flour. Gradually stir in 1 cup water. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker.
- Add the broth, potatoes, potato flakes, bacon, pepper, salt, basil, thyme and remaining water. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until potatoes are tender. Stir in cream; heat through. Garnish with cheese and green onions. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Baked Potato Soup in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes Annual 2008, p7
Reviews for Loaded Baked Potato Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review