When I bake this for my family, any leftovers are always gone by morning. In the night, people sneak downstairs for a little snack! Stir in broccoli, asparagus or peas if you've got 'em. —Colleen Trenholm, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Featured In: 60 Sneaky Ways to Eat More Vegetables
- 2 pounds potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced (about 6 cups)
- 1 large onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 4 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 4 cups fresh small broccoli florets
- 3 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh chives
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place potatoes, onion and water in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave, covered, on high until potatoes are almost tender, 8-10 minutes; drain.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour and seasonings until smooth; cook and stir until lightly browned, 2-3 minutes. Gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes. Stir in 3 cups cheese until melted. Remove from heat.
- To assemble, layer potato mixture, broccoli and ham in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Pour sauce over top; sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake, covered, 45 minutes. Uncover; bake until potatoes are tender, 25-30 minutes. Sprinkle with chives; let stand 10 minutes. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Loaded Baked Potato Casserole in Simple & Delicious October/November 2016
Reviews for Loaded Baked Potato Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review