Lo Mein Noodles Recipe
- 2 quarts water
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1 package (16 ounces) thin spaghetti
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium teriyaki sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Chinese five-spice powder
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced onion
- 1 cup fresh snow peas
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1. In a Dutch oven, bring water and bouillon to a boil. Add spaghetti. Return to a boil; cook, uncovered, for 6 minutes or until almost tender. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup cooking liquid. Add soy sauce, teriyaki sauce, five-spice powder and pepper to reserved liquid; set aside. Set spaghetti aside.
- 2. In a large nonstick skillet or wok, heat oil until hot. Add onion and saute for 2 minutes. Add peas; saute 2 minutes longer. Stir in reserved spaghetti. Add reserved soy sauce mixture to pan. Simmer, uncovered, for 3-4 minutes or until liquid has evaporated. Sprinkle with green onions. Yield: 8 servings.
One serving (3/4 cup) equals 304 calories, 8 g fat (1 g saturated fat), trace cholesterol, 530 mg sodium, 48 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 9 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 1-1/2 fat.