Liver with Peppers and Onions Recipe
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound liver, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced into rings
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 sweet red pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- Cooked rice or noodles
- 1. In a large bowl or resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, salt and pepper. Add liver; toss to coat. In a large skillet, cook onion and peppers in 2 tablespoons oil until crisp-tender. Remove from pan; set aside.
- 2. In same skillet, cook and stir liver in remaining oil for 5-7 minutes or until no pink remains. In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch, broth and soy sauce until smooth; stir into liver. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Return vegetables to the skillet; heat through. Serve with rice or noodles. Yield: 4-6 servings.
1 serving (calculated without rice or noodles) equals 245 calories, 12 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 332 mg cholesterol, 898 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 16 g protein.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.