Little Texas Corn Bread Recipe
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1 can (8-1/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, drained
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the cornmeal, cheese and baking powder. In another bowl, combine the eggs, corn, sour cream, oil and chilies. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- 2. Pour into a greased 8-in. square baking pan. Bake at 400° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Serve warm. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 8 servings.
1 piece: 337 calories, 24g fat (9g saturated fat), 88mg cholesterol, 408mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 8g protein .
Reviews for Little Texas Corn Bread
"I made this cornbread today and it was delicious. I followed the recipe but I did use extra sharp cheese for a nice cheesy flavor. I do not recommend the toothpick test as it tested done at 25 minutes and even though I was leery, I went ahead and took it out. It definitely needs to cook at least 30 or even 25 minutes. It should be starting to brown on top. Mine could have cooked a little longer but it was delicious.The very center was a little mushy. I will definitely make this again. I recommend this recipe as a Volunteer Field Editor for Taste of Home."
"This is really good!! Moist, rich and delicious. The perfect accompaniment to soup or chili."
"My family really liked this corn bread. I served it with chili which was already spicy enough for me so I eliminated the green chilies in the corn bread and add 2 tablespoons of sugar. Yum."
"My first pot of chili called for a test of this cornbread today. I thought it was very good..spicy, just the way I like my chili too. I served it while it was still quite warm so it was rather soft yet and didn't hold it's shape, but now that it has cooled down it is fine."