- or until golden brown.
- In a saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch and salt. Gradually stir in
- cold water until smooth. Cook and stir over medium heat until
- thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes more.
- Remove from the heat.
- Stir half of hot filling into egg yolk; return all to the pan. Bring
- to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat;
- stir in lemon juice and butter.
- Pour into pastry shells. In a small bowl, beat egg white and cream of
- tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form. Spread evenly over hot
- filling, sealing edges to crust. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes
- or until meringue is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour;
- refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 466 calories, 20 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 137 mg cholesterol, 443 mg sodium, 67 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.