Little Chocolate Cake Recipe
A small chocolate cake can be just as good as a large one. Plus, none of it goes to waste. Husband Loren and I love its terrific from-scratch taste and rich chocolate frosting.—Paula Anderson, Springfield, Illinois
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. In a bowl, combine chocolate and water; stir until blended. Cool. Add the sugar, shortening, egg and vanilla; mix well. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to the chocolate mixture alternately with buttermilk. Pour into a greased 8-in. square baking dish.
- 2. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely.
- 3. For frosting, combine the first six ingredients in a saucepan; bring to a boil. Boil for 1-1/2 minutes; remove from the heat. Set pan into a large pan of ice water. Beat for 1 minute. Add butter and vanilla. Beat 10 minutes longer or until frosting achieves spreading consistency. Frost cake. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 945 calories, 34 g fat (14 g saturated fat), 73 mg cholesterol, 701 mg sodium, 159 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 7 g protein.
Reviews for Little Chocolate Cake
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC