- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) pitted tart red cherries
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Pinch salt
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1-1/2 teaspoons butter
- 1/8 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Almond Extract
- 1/8 teaspoon red liquid food coloring, optional
- 1 sheet refrigerated pie pastry
- Drain cherries, reserving 1/3 cup juice. In a saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Stir in water and reserved juice until smooth. Add cherries. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 1 minute. Remove from the heat; stir in the butter, extract and food coloring if desired. Cool.
- Roll out pastry into a 13-in. circle. Cut a 13-in. x 8-in. rectangle from center of circle. Cut widthwise in half; transfer each half to a 5-in. pie plate. Trim pastry even with edge. Add filling. Cut remaining pastry lengthwise into 1/2-in. strips; make a lattice crust for each pie. Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until crust is golden and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 2 pies.
Originally published as Little Cherry Pies in Cooking for 2 Spring 2005, p39
Reviews for Little Cherry Pies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review