Lithuanian Potato Dish Recipe
I received this recipe from my Lithuanian mother-in-law 43 years ago. This dish is as important to my family during the holidays as the Christmas tree.June Gerdzunas, Mokena, Illinois
- 1/2 pound sliced bacon, diced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup butter,cubed
- 1/4 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2-1/2 pounds potatoes, peeled and shredded
- Sour cream, optional
- In a large skillet, cook bacon and onion; drain. Add butter and stir until melted. Remove from the heat. In a large bowl, whisk the flour, salt, pepper, eggs, evaporated milk and milk until smooth. Stir in the potatoes and bacon mixture.
- Transfer to a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered at 350° for 60-65 minutes or until golden. Serve with sour cream if desired. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Originally published as Lithuanian Potato Dish in Casserole Cookbook 2001, p289
Reviews for Lithuanian Potato Dish(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review