VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 package cake mix of your choice (regular size)
- 1 can (16 ounces) vanilla frosting
- Orange, blue and pink paste food coloring
- Assorted decorations: snack-size Mounds candy bars, jelly beans, sweetened shredded coconut, chocolate jimmies and Pull-n-Peel licorice
- Prepare and bake cake mix according to package directions for cupcakes; cool completely. Tint desired amounts of frosting orange, blue and pink.
- For lambs, frost cupcakes white and attach a Mounds candy bar for face. Pipe additional frosting over top of candy bar for tuft of hair between the ears. Attach jelly beans for ears, sprinkle body with coconut and pipe frosting for eyes and nose.
- For lions, frost cupcakes with orange frosting. Sprinkle edges with jimmies and attach pieces of licorice for mane. Attach jelly beans for ears. Pipe faces with frosting. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Lion and Lamb Cupcakes in Simple & Delicious February/March 2012, p11