With a creamy chocolate and hazelnut filling, these decadent Christmas cookies look and taste amazing. Guests will never guess how relatively easy they are to make.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 egg
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Additional confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup Nutella
- In a large bowl, cream butter and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. Combine flour and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Divide dough in thirds. Shape each into a ball, then flatten into a disk. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°. On a lightly floured surface, roll one portion of dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with floured 2-1/2-in. holiday cookie cutters. Using floured 1-in. shaped cookie cutters, cut out the centers of half of the cookies.
- Place solid and cutout cookies 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Repeat with remaining portions of dough. Bake 8-10 minutes or until set. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- Sprinkle cutout cookies with additional confectioners' sugar. Spread 1 teaspoon Nutella on the bottom of each solid cookie; place cookies with cutout centers over filling. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Linzer Tarts in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2011, p71
Reviews for Linzer Tarts
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 18, 2015
"I've been making these for a few years. They do take a little bit more work but are very impressive."
Reviewed Jan. 2, 2014
"The Nutella makes for a unique twist on the sandwich cookie. These were quite good, and I will definitely make them again."