- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 egg
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Additional confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup Nutella
- In a large bowl, cream butter and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. Combine flour and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Divide dough in thirds. Shape each into a ball, then flatten into a disk. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°. On a lightly floured surface, roll one portion of dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with floured 2-1/2-in. holiday cookie cutters. Using floured 1-in. shaped cookie cutters, cut out the centers of half of the cookies.
- Place solid and cutout cookies 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Repeat with remaining portions of dough. Bake 8-10 minutes or until set. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- Sprinkle cutout cookies with additional confectioners' sugar. Spread 1 teaspoon Nutella on the bottom of each solid cookie; place cookies with cutout centers over filling. Yield: 2 dozen.
Reviews forLinzer Tarts
"I've been making these for a few years. They do take a little bit more work but are very impressive."
"The Nutella makes for a unique twist on the sandwich cookie. These were quite good, and I will definitely make them again."