Linzer Cookies Recipe
This specialty cookie takes a little extra effort, but the results are sweet! They really help to make the holidays feel special. Jane Pearcy, Verona, Wisconsin
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling YIELD:36 servings
- 1-1/4 cups butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 cups ground almonds
- 6 tablespoons seedless raspberry jam
- 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine flour, cocoa, salt and spices; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in almonds. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- 2. Preheat oven to 350°. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. round cookie cutter. From the center of half the cookies, cut out a 1-1/2-in. shape.
- 3. Place on ungreased baking sheets. Bake 10-12 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- 4. Spread bottom of each solid cookie with 1/2 teaspoon jam. Sprinkle cutout cookies with confectioners' sugar; carefully place over jam. Yield: 3 dozen.
1 cookie equals 161 calories, 9 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 28 mg cholesterol, 82 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 fat, 1 starch.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC