Linguine with Marinated Tomato and Basil
Tired of pasta weighted down by sauce? Opt for Linda Nichols' nutritious toss-up of marinated tomatoes, linguine and cheese. "This recipe comes from my husband's sister, Allison, and is in our family cookbook. It is one of our favorite summer meals," she says from Atlantic, Iowa. "The leftovers make a great cold pasta salad."
8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + standing
- 6 plum tomatoes, diced
- 3/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (16 ounces) linguine
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients; toss to coat.
- Let stand at room temperature for 1 hour. Meanwhile, prepare
- linguine according to package directions; drain. Add to the tomato
- mixture; toss to coat. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Serve warm.
- Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (1 cup) equals 321 calories, 9 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 9 mg cholesterol, 403 mg sodium, 48 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 12 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 1-1/2 fat, 1 vegetable.