Lime Shortbread with Dried Cherries Recipe
This fresh, sweet-tart cookie also works with dried cranberries and orange zest. I freeze the dough for up to a month. —Abigail Bostwick, Tomahawk, Wisconsin
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated lime peel
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped dried cherries
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and confectioners' sugar until blended. Beat in lime peel and extracts. In another bowl, mix flour, baking powder and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Stir in cherries.
- 2. Divide dough in half; shape each into a 7-in.-long roll. Wrap in plastic wrap; refrigerate 3-4 hours or until firm.
- 3. Preheat oven to 350°. Unwrap and cut dough crosswise into 1/4-in. slices. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake 9-11 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 4-1/2 dozen.
1 cookie equals 52 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 8 mg cholesterol, 28 mg sodium, 6 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, trace protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC