Lime Navy Bean Chili Recipe
- 1-1/4 cups dried navy beans
- 3 cups water
- 2 bone-in chicken breast halves (7 ounces each), skin removed
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1. Sort beans and rinse with cold water. Place beans in a large saucepan; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let soak for 1 to 4 hours or until beans are softened. Drain and rinse beans, discarding liquid.
- 2. In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine the beans, water, chicken, corn, onion, chilies, garlic, bouillon, cumin and chili powder. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 170° and beans are tender.
- 3. Remove chicken breasts; set aside until cool enough to handle. Remove meat from bones; discard bones and cut into bite-size pieces. Return chicken to pan. Stir in lime juice just before serving. Yield: 6 servings.
1 cup equals 250 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 30 mg cholesterol, 532 mg sodium, 37 g carbohydrate, 12 g fiber, 22 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 3 lean meat, 1 vegetable.