Lime Ice Cream
Lime Ice Cream, from field editor Betsy Hedeman, Relay, maryland, ends the meal with a burst of sweet-tart flavor. It's an inexpensive way to cool off on hot days.
4 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + cooling Process: 20 min. + freezing
- 2 cups milk
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup lime juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lime peel
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- In a large saucepan, combine milk and sugar. Cook over medium heat
- until sugar is dissolved and mixture reaches 175°. Cool to room
- temperature. Stir in the lime juice and peel. Freeze in an ice cream
- freezer according to manufacturer's directions.
- Transfer frozen lime mixture to a large bowl; allow to soften
- slightly. In a small bowl, beat whipping cream until stiff peaks
- form. Fold into softened lime mixture. Allow ice cream to firm up in
- your refrigerator freezer for 4 hours before serving. Yield: 4
- servings (about 1 quart).
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 528 calories, 26 g fat (16 g saturated fat), 98 mg cholesterol, 83 mg sodium, 72 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 5 g protein.
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.