Lime Cream Pie Recipe
The home economists in the Country Woman Test Kitchen whipped up the recipe for this delightfully tart and flavorful pie. The smooth texture of the filling is similar to that of a lemon meringue pie.
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups water
- 4 egg yolks, beaten
- 4-1/2 teaspoons butter
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lime peel
- Green food coloring, optional
- 6 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. Line a 9-in. pie plate with pastry. Trim to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate; flute edges. Line unpricked pastry shell with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 450° for 8 minutes. Remove foil; bake 5 minutes longer. Cool on a wire rack.
- 2. For filling, in a large saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch, flour and salt. Stir in water until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from heat.
- 3. Stir a small amount of hot filling into yolks. Return all to pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir in butter, lime peel and food coloring if desired. Gently stir in lime juice. Pour into crust. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour; refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
- 4. In a small bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add the sugar and vanilla; beat until stiff peaks form. Spread or pipe over pie. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC