Here's a great recipe for your next party! Set out various toppings and garnishes so guests can custom-make their own tostadas with the lime-kissed shredded pork. —Jan Valdez, Chicago, Illinois
Featured In: 23 Healthy Slow Cooker Recipes
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 4 teaspoons ground chipotle pepper
- 4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 boneless pork shoulder roast (4 to 5 pounds), halved
- 1 large onion, peeled and halved
- 8 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 to 2 limes, halved
- 16 tostada shells
- Optional toppings: warmed refried beans, salsa, sour cream, shredded lettuce, chopped avocado, crumbled queso fresco and minced fresh cilantro
- Lime wedges
- Add broth to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Mix seasonings; rub over all sides of pork. Place in slow cooker. Add onion and garlic cloves. Cook, covered, on low 8-10 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove pork; cool slightly. Strain cooking juices, reserving garlic cloves; discard onion. Skim fat from cooking juices. Mash garlic with a fork. Shred pork with two forks.
- Return cooking juices, garlic and pork to slow cooker. Squeeze lime juice over pork; heat through, stirring to combine. Layer tostada shells with pork mixture and toppings as desired. Serve with lime wedges. Yield: 16 servings.
Originally published as Lime-Chipotle Carnitas Tostadas in Healthy Cooking Annual Recipes Annual 2015, p102
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Lime-Chipotle Carnitas Tostadas
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 8, 2017
"It was absolutely delicious!"
Reviewed Jan. 9, 2016
"This meat was so tender and scrumptious! I loved just the meat with some fresh Pico de Gallo on it. Yum yum! ."