Lime Chiffon Cake Recipe
The next time you spot lovely little limes at the grocery store, pick some up and make this outstanding cake! A cool, refreshing curd peeks out from every tender slice.—Redawna Kalynchuk, Sexsmith, Alberta
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 1-1/4 hours Bake: 45 min. + cooling YIELD:12 servings
- 7 eggs, separated
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 4 teaspoons grated lime peel
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- LIME CURD:
- 4 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 2 tablespoons grated lime peel
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- Lime peel strips
- 1. Let eggs stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, whisk the egg yolks, water, oil, lime juice, lime peel and vanilla. Add to dry ingredients; beat until well blended. In another bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff peaks form; fold into batter.
- 3. Gently spoon into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake on the lowest oven rack at 325° for 45-50 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Immediately invert pan; cool completely, about 1 hour. Run a knife around sides and center tube of pan; set aside.
- 4. For lime curd, in a small heavy saucepan over medium heat, whisk the eggs, sugar, lime juice, peel and salt until blended. Add butter; cook, whisking constantly, until mixture is thickened and coats the back of a spoon. Transfer to a small bowl; cool for 10 minutes. Cover and refrigerate until chilled.
- 5. In a small bowl, beat cream until stiff peaks form; fold in 1-1/2 cups curd.
- 6. Cut cake horizontally into two layers. Place bottom layer on a serving plate; spread with remaining curd. Top with remaining cake layer; spread whipped cream over top and sides of cake. Garnish with lime peel. Yield: 12 servings.
1 slice equals 600 calories, 33 g fat (14 g saturated fat), 255 mg cholesterol, 353 mg sodium, 71 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 8 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC