Lime Chiffon Cake Recipe
- 7 eggs, separated
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 4 teaspoons grated lime peel
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- LIME CURD:
- 4 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 2 tablespoons grated lime peel
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- Lime peel strips
- 1. Let eggs stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, whisk the egg yolks, water, oil, lime juice, lime peel and vanilla. Add to dry ingredients; beat until well blended. In another bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff peaks form; fold into batter.
- 3. Gently spoon into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake on the lowest oven rack at 325° for 45-50 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Immediately invert pan; cool completely, about 1 hour. Run a knife around sides and center tube of pan; set aside.
- 4. For lime curd, in a small heavy saucepan over medium heat, whisk the eggs, sugar, lime juice, peel and salt until blended. Add butter; cook, whisking constantly, until mixture is thickened and coats the back of a spoon. Transfer to a small bowl; cool for 10 minutes. Cover and refrigerate until chilled.
- 5. In a small bowl, beat cream until stiff peaks form; fold in 1-1/2 cups curd.
- 6. Cut cake horizontally into two layers. Place bottom layer on a serving plate; spread with remaining curd. Top with remaining cake layer; spread whipped cream over top and sides of cake. Garnish with lime peel. Yield: 12 servings.
1 slice: 600 calories, 33g fat (14g saturated fat), 255mg cholesterol, 353mg sodium, 71g carbohydrate (55g sugars, 1g fiber), 8g protein
Reviews for Lime Chiffon Cake
"My family loves it! It's very refreshing, best to serve this summer. The recipe is too sweet for me so when I made the 2nd time, I lessen the sugar in the cake to 1 1/4 cups and 1 cup in lime curd. Perfect sweetness and tartness! The next time I'm making this cake again, I'll add banana extract to taste like candy. Just like I do for my lemon bars. Yum!"
"Light yet full of citrus love! Sure to impress anyone with this fantastic cake."