The next time you spot lovely little limes at the grocery store, pick some up and make this outstanding cake! A cool, refreshing curd peeks out from every tender slice.—Redawna Kalynchuk, Sexsmith, Alberta
- 7 eggs, separated
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 4 teaspoons grated lime peel
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- LIME CURD:
- 4 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 2 tablespoons grated lime peel
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- Lime peel strips
- Let eggs stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, whisk the egg yolks, water, oil, lime juice, lime peel and vanilla. Add to dry ingredients; beat until well blended. In another bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff peaks form; fold into batter.
- Gently spoon into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake on the lowest oven rack at 325° for 45-50 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Immediately invert pan; cool completely, about 1 hour. Run a knife around sides and center tube of pan; set aside.
- For lime curd, in a small heavy saucepan over medium heat, whisk the eggs, sugar, lime juice, peel and salt until blended. Add butter; cook, whisking constantly, until mixture is thickened and coats the back of a spoon. Transfer to a small bowl; cool for 10 minutes. Cover and refrigerate until chilled.
- In a small bowl, beat cream until stiff peaks form; fold in 1-1/2 cups curd.
- Cut cake horizontally into two layers. Place bottom layer on a serving plate; spread with remaining curd. Top with remaining cake layer; spread whipped cream over top and sides of cake. Garnish with lime peel. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Lime Chiffon Cake in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2010, p88
Reviews for Lime Chiffon Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Aug. 16, 2012
"Light yet full of citrus love! Sure to impress anyone with this fantastic cake."